103 Kids and the Law Medical Issues MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR MINORS 1. In emergency situations, treatment can be given to minors without the consent of the parent or guardian. 2. Any minor can give consent to medical or dental care if the minor is living separate and apart from the parent or guardian and is managing his or her own financial affairs. 3. A child 12 or older who is determined to be drug dependent may give con- sent to hospital and medical care to treat that dependency. The parent or guardian need not consent to treatment. 4. A minor does not need to get consent from the parent or guardian for the treatment or diagnosis of a venereal disease. 5. A female less than 18 years old who is pregnant or who believes she is preg- nant may consent to her own medical treatment, including pregnancy testing, prenatal care, and delivery. The laws pertaining to medical treatment for minors are found in Massachu- setts General Laws chapter 112, Sections 12E and 12F. What if a parent or guardian wants to allow another adult to make health care decisions for their child? Parents or guardians can choose to allow another adult with whom the child lives to make health care decisions by signing a Caregiver Authorization Af- fidavit. This allows the caregiver to act without needing to consult with the parent or guardian. The parents’ or guardians’ signatures on the form must be witnessed, but the form does not need to be filed with any court and the parents or guardians do not lose their rights. This permission form can remain in effect for up to two years. Another form can be signed at the end of each two-year period. Medical Issues 9 9