89 Kids and the Law What happens if the child demonstrates a need for hospital level of care but the child’s insurance denies coverage? The clinician will work with providers to access secondary coverage such as through MassHealth. This may require that the child be placed in the tempo- rary custody of the Department of Children and Families either through a vol- untary placement or order of the court. What if the clinician determines that the child does not require hospital level of care? The clinician will explore with the child and family and others involved such as the child’s therapist or teachers what services can be provided. Services vary from least restrictive (the child remains at home and all services are outpatient) to most restrictive where the child needs to be in a residential program where services are provided on site. For example, a less restrictive setting might in- clude Community-Based Acute Treatment, partial hospitalization, or services for the child and family in the home or community that could be provided by the local Community Service Agency (see Resources section). What if the child who is brought to the hospital does not want to be admitted voluntarily? A child or parent of a child who does not agree to a voluntary admission can still be admitted under a section 12 or“pink paper” for a three-day, involuntary admission. However, the facility must inform the child or parent that they have the right to an attorney through the Committee for Public Counsel Services. The parent or child must request that the hospital contact CPCS or they can contact CPCS directly by calling 617-482-6212. An attorney will be appointed right away and will come out to the facility to meet with the child to discuss their options. What if the child who is at the hospital voluntarily wants to leave? A child 16 years or older can give written notice to the hospital of their intent to leave. A parent who admitted a child can also submit this“three-day notice.” The hospital can then keep the child at the facility for up to three business days while it determines whether to file a court action requesting that the child be required to remain hospitalized. This is called an “involuntary commitment”. Mental Health and Substance Use Issues 8